Get a quote
Skip to Main Content
Manage my policy Get a quote

Apartment insurance

Do I need apartment insurance?

Wondering if you need insurance for your apartment, unit or townhouse?

If you live in a strata-titled property such as an apartment, unit, or townhouse, damage to the building and common areas, like gyms and pools, should be covered by compulsory strata insurance.

However, to protect your personal possessions, in and outside your apartment, and yourself with legal liability you need contents insurance.

See the cover Get your quote online   

Your CHU Contents Insurance for Strata quote covers:

  • Furniture and furnishings
  • Clothing
  • Electrical appliances
  • Computers and computer equipment
  • Watches
  • Curtains and blinds
  • Internal carpets and rugs
  • Liability to others
  • Bicycles
  • Entertainment equipment
  • CD’s, DVD’s and electronic games
  • Portable music equipment
  • Works of art
  • TVs
  • Jewellery
  • Damage caused by the following insured events
    • Earthquake or tsunami
    • Storm, rain or flood
    • Fire
    • Explosion
    • Direct lightning strike or thunderbolt
    • Falling tree, branch, television, radio or satellite aerial
    • Vandalism or malicious damage
    • Riot or civil commotion
    • Sudden escape of water or other liquid from a neighbouring or your own plumbing system or source
  • Standard benefits if an insured event arises
    • Loss or damage to contents temporarily in transit
    • Loss or damage to contents belonging to guests
    • Item such as jewellery, gold or silver articles, mobile phones and portable electronics temporarily removed from the home unit
    • Contribution to the cost of essential temporary repairs to your contents after damage by an insured event
    • Re-key or replace external locks in your home unit if keys are stolen
  • Other cover included with contents cover
    • Legal liability for you or your family for bodily injury or death and loss or damage to another person’s property
electronic apartment contents 502 278
Security plus

Regardless of how modern and secure your apartment building is things go wrong. Events like pipes bursting, losing your keys or phone, your neighbours toilet overflowing, damage to your contents while in transit and people hurting themselves in your property or from items that belong to you should be covered by contents insurance.

apartment insurance and bike 502 278
Your contents and liability

Whether you’re an owner or tenant to be fully covered in the event of a claim you need contents insurance for your personal possessions and liability to others along with residential strata insurance for your building.

apartment interior and contents 502 278
Is your building insured through CHU?

CHU organises the insurance of more buildings in Australia than any insurer, so when your building insurance is organised through CHU and you make a claim you may save on your excess payment and get quicker repairs. To see if your building is insured contact us: